Do you have a favourite cake recipe? Share it with Prim Perfect – and you can help us raise money to fight against cancer!
Every September, the UK charity Macmillan Cancer Support holds the biggest coffee morning in the world – and this year, we’ll be holding our own event for the second time – and we want YOU to join in!
It’s Macmillan’s biggest fundraising event, where they ask people across the UK to hold a coffee morning and raise money for people living with cancer. In 2013, 154,000 people signed up, raising a record £20 million. In the UK, people bake cakes to sell at coffee mornings that they host at their homes, their places of work, their schools, colleges and universities …
And here in Second Life, people organise coffee mornings too.
Last year, we held a very special coffee morning at Prim Perfect, where we raised £85.00 (over US$100) through the sale of virtual cake – and we will be doing it again this year.
But this year we are inviting people across the grid to join us by holding coffee mornings of their own – in their stores, cafes, and virtual homes. We will either supply cakes for you or you can donate your own – and get your friends to share their favourite recipes too!
We’ll be holding an event – a party at the Prim Perfect offices. We’ll be posting more details about times closer to the event!
How do you sell virtual cake?
Well, we thought our virtual cake was rather good value! We asked people to give us their favourite cake recipe, and put it inside a virtual cake. Then when someone bought the virtual cake, they received a real recipe – so they really had whole cakes, that they could make over and over again – and there were a lot of really delicious cakes to try!
Some people made really exquisite Second Life cakes that you could take to display in your own kitchen. Others made simple cakes following our instructions, or even simply gave us a recipe and we made the cakes for them. So, you see, anyone can take part!
We’ll be printing instructions on how to make a simple Second Life cake in the new issue of Prim Perfect, and giving away tools to help you make a cake with the inworld copies of the magazine.
On the grid, all the money we raise from cakes and donations will go to an avatar we have created especially for the event – Macmillan CoffeeMorning (with a registered name of CoffeeMorning Resident). But if you host your own event, you can donate to our Just Giving page. or directly to Macmillan Cancer Support.
How can I contribute?
1. You can come to the coffee morning and buy some cake!
2. You can make a cake, add your favourite recipe, and send it (full perms) to Macmillan CoffeeMorning (coffeemorning Resident), who will be putting them out on offer for the coffee morning.
3. Or you can send your recipe to Macmillan CoffeeMorning inworld or at firstname.lastname@example.org – and we will bake a cake for you!
4. You can host your own coffee morning anywhere on the grid – and send the money to our Just Giving page. This money will be registered (so we can see how much we raise through the coffee mornings) and will be sent securely and directly to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
5. Or you can simply make a donation through our Just Giving page, or directly to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Read Full Post »